Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 June 2013

Handsworth Helping Hands

Working in Stamford Road

Residents and volunteers with Handsworth Helping Hands - our local voluntary handyperson group with transit van and tools and enthusiasm - filled three skips with rubbish from Stamford Road in Handsworth on Thursday.
Some items were collected by scrap dealers, other items like beds and a disabled bath lift were donated to the Red Cross Charity shop at Newtown and other items discarded but in good condition will be sold on Gumtree to help recoup the cost of the skips - £420, paid for out of the solvency we've built up over the past year and a half, including money from our successful bid for Community Chest funds. Residents, who been notified by word of mouth and fliers taken door to door a few days before, brought their rubbish to the skips. I also used the van to 'scavenge' waste left in the street as well as knocking on doors where there was waste in the garden, and with help from householders, loading what they wanted removed onto the HHH van to be unloaded onto the skips for collection at the end of the afternoon.
Some of the chatter  and some of the clutter on HHH's Facebook page.....the chronology on Facebook's timeline - time's arrow - goes in reverse, with earlier posts at the bottom....I don't know about Facebook. Some call it evil, spawn of the devil, snooped on by spies, shared with unknown dark forces, while others like my friend Margie posted this and with no more effort on her part persuaded me to paste it into my own page on FB:

I don't usually do this but....It occurs to me that for each and every one of you on my friends list, I catch myself looking at your pictures, sharing jokes and news, as well as support during good and bad times. I am also happy to have you among my friends. We will see who will take the time to read this message until the end. If you appreciate your friends from all over the world, go ahead and copy this into your status too, even if it's just for a minute. I'm going to be watching to see who takes care of the friendship, just like me. Thank you all for being a part of my life. Copy and paste please, don't share.
Like ·  · Promote · 
  • Paul Grant likes this.
  • Olimpia Gargano I did. I took the time to read until the end, as usually I do when I see your posts. I apologise if I'll not copy and paste, just because I don't like "chains", not even in messages .
  • Rob Groove ditto
  • Simon Baddeley I rather agree but Margie is a really delightful and altogether interesting person who as a carer became very close to my late mother. I will probably never meet Margie again in the flesh but I want to stay in touch. So for her I cut and paste what I'd usually ignore. S
    A few seconds ago · Edited · Like · 1



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back numbers

Simon Baddeley