Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 November 2008

Άνω Κορακιάνα

Democracy Street - only eight more weeks and we shall be there, travelling from Sophia, to Thessaloniki, to Kalambaka, Meteora, Ioannina, Igoumenitsa and over the narrow sea to Corfu.
'The morning’s minion was a pink reflection on the sea this side of the Strait beyond the shadow of the mainland heights... with no breeze to flatten it, a wave of mist poured, as over the down-turned rim of a basin, into the valleys between the hills above Ipsos, Analipsi and Dassia, floating below the village in the direction of Skripero. We speak of the sun ‘rising’, yet there were surely villagers in Ano Korakiana and shepherds on Olympus, gazing at the growing light, who knew the world tipped towards the sun long before Galileo struggled to prove the fact among men who would - one day - gaze down on the round earth turning.'
Rena Vlahopoulou who died in 2004 at 81 said "I catch the boat from Patras and as I board I say to myself, now I’m at peace. I’m on my way home to Korakiana, I’m going to see my things, those who are close to me. I feel that Corfu embraces me every time I arrive." This evening I found myself looking at a couple of wobbly YouTube clips of planes landing in Corfu, catching familiar glimpses of coast and skyline, thinking of landfalls by sea. 'Somewhere between Calabria and Corfu the blue really begins.' A letter from Democracy Street:
Yassou Simon and Linda. Hope this email finds you both well. Just a quick note to tell you that your sail has been repaired by our lovely Joyce so that awaits your return as do we. Have had a few trips over to the marsh - one with my brother who was here for a month to do work on his house as they are back for good next September. The freezer is filling up with duck and snipe so on your return we shall have a royal roast and why not...I had a pretty hairy trip back from the marsh (my note: just west of the word GREECE and at a point on the mainland almost due east of Benitses on Corfu on the map below the air photo) on Tuesday just gone a tale best left till you are here (that damn stretch of water has the devil in it) but came home safe and sound. Weather here has changed still quite mild but with more overcast rainy windy days, wind more often than not from the south these days. Sal busy on a Friday and Saturday with the horses (weather permitting) and our new house with her sister and niece sanding and painting. Have been past your spiti a few times and all seems well there. No need to go in yet I don't think, but rest assured on that side of things all is well. Really really looking forward to our trip to mainland for Xmas and new year, Sal, Dog and Gun what more could I want - oh a little colder weather frosty mornings and slight snow fantastic. Best wishes to you both and look forward to seeing you in the new year. Cheerio Mark and Sally and Teal of course. P.S. Find attached Google Earth picture of Kalamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back numbers

Simon Baddeley